My home

by - 17:26

Untitled
(Me before moving in, just after my furniture arrived)

♪ Jay Z- Smile ♪

We've past half of 2017, and I can say I will never forget this year for two reasons: the birth of my goddaughter & moving into my home. It's still surreal for me, how two things can change your life completely for the better. I've been meaning to blog about my home ever since I moved, but I'm always saving money to improve it (for instance, the first stop I made to the summer sales was to buy plates and cups, not Zara unlike many other years) and I wanted to show you guys the finished product. There's still an armchair I haven't got round to buy yet, maybe for my birthday I'll splurge.

Just like fashion, interior design was always a big love and pasion. When I was 14 my parents let me design the furniture in my room and I was hooked! The problem with a room is that you can't change it like you change your outfits. It was a big shock for me when I came to college and I had to stay in a dorm room with such brown furniture, I tried to make the best of it by using all sorts of paintings, photo frames and little souvenirs, but it truly never felt like a home,  it was more like an improvisation.

Fast-forward couple years later and I find myself designing my dream home. In a small space and on a really tight budget, but it was such a blessing and an exciting challenge! I read decor blogs on a daily basis, but most of them don't have sections for a one-room apartment, so I took the matter into my own hands. We found an amazing furniture company, because with the space given the furniture obviously had to be custom-made to maximize the storing space. I picked everything myself and they made it just like I dreamed. Therefore, most of the budget went on the main pieces of furniture, so I had to get creative regarding the other stuff. We were lucky enough to find the coffee table on sale for example, I also got many great house-warming gifts which helped me a lot and I'm forever grateful to my family and friends!

I thought it would be better if I just told you the story of every corner/room individually:


THE LIVING ROOM/BEDROOM 

(first photo taken when the furniture arrived)

Untitled

The concept was pretty simple: it was a large wall and it was the ideal place to put the main piece of the furniture: I wanted a shelves to place my books and Vogues (this was one of the hardest parts living in a dorm room, not having enough space for them!), a place for a minibar (small cabinet on the right), a place for all my makeup and jewellery (cabinet on the left). Also vital: a huge WARDROBE for all my clothes, it's truly a dream come true. The couch is my greatest love from this area, I fell in love with this shade of purple and the floral pillows which match the light furniture. It's truly the statement piece of the house for me.


Untitled

Untitled
My geek shelf: shoutout to my cousin Alex for giving me my love, BB8!

Untitled
Untitled
House-warming gift from some of my favorite people!

Untitled
Rie, the healer doll I got from my sister when I got into Med School, my lucky owl statue I got from Rhodes

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

THE WORKSPACE (facing the couch)
Everyone knows there's one thing Med school students dream about: a huge desk! Nobody in my family thought the desk should take this much of the space, but they all agree now I made the best decision. This desk helps me so much during the finals, I can lay so many books, plus whenever I host a party I showcase all the food on it and it's great. The TV was also a heated topic, but I'm proud because I bought it on my own and I found it on an amazing sale! It's honestly really important to me because I watch a lot of TV shows and movies in my spare time.


Untitled

Untitled
Untitled

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Once again, thank you Alex for the incredible Beatles merch, you really know me!

Untitled
Photo from my first party, exactly what I was talking about: it was enough room for a dessert bar!

THE BATHROOM:
When I first saw this apartment, the bathroom door was wide open and I was so disappointed: it was way too big (some extra space in the living room would have worked better) and I didn't like the tiles at all. It had no personality or style whatsoever. Now I love it, thanks to some really cheap accessories we got. First we found the colorful striped bathroom rug and together with my floral weighing scale the floor looked better. I also love the mirror I found in my hometown, the color is exactly the same with the furniture I have in the living room. The last addition which really makes the bathroom pop: the dotted blue shower curtain. I also always keep colorful bathroom towels to match the rug and the curtain.


Untitled

Untitled

Untitled
Untitled

Saved the best for last: THE KITCHEN

When the furniture arrived:

Untitled
The hardest thing about living in a dorm room for me was having no place to cook. Back when I was in highschool, I used to bake cupcakes, cakes and brownies as a hobby, and this was really quite a shock to me. I knew how I wanted my kitchen to look from day one and we were lucky we found the oven of my dreams on sale (also the sink, come to think of it, we found a lot on sale). The tricky part was the space because the kitchen is so small, there was no way to separate the living room from it and we had to think really carefully how to fit more cupboards and storing space, but in the end, although it's really crowded because I can't stop buying baking accessories and pretty plates, the kithen is the very heart of my home!

Untitled

Untitled
Gluten free banana pancakes- just wanted to show you my pretty plate!

Untitled
The new plates I got on sale for my lava cakes- I love them!

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled
My favorite pastel kitchen towels which match the tiles.

Untitled
Cupcake scale because it's all about the details

Untitled
Another pretty plate and gluten free pancakes

Untitled
Closing this post really close to my heart with this heart-shaped pizza I made (let me know if I should start writing recipe posts for any of these).

You May Also Like

9 comentarii

  1. I love how you made such a quaint space so spacious. It has so much charm to it after you arranged things! xx

    Kit | THINGS SHE LOVES

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!! I love how you made the best out of what you had. Wishing you the very best.

    www.zinnyfactor.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely home!! Looks like so cozy!!
    xx
    Mónica Sors
    MES VOYAGES À PARIS
    NEW POST: WHAT TO WEAR IN PARIS
    DON'T MISS: FLORAL ROMPER & ICE CREAM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallo, danke sehr fur den Artikel, den hilft mir, um meine Leben zu verbessern.

    liebe Grüße
    Sandra von Tinotti

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a really lovely space, babe!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your home is really beautiful. I especially like the small decorations on the bookshelf. They are quite unique. Hope you enjoy the space!

    www.jamilakyari.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful you managed even to have this beautiful kitchen! Your home is super tasteful and lovely and I see you'll never forget this year as definitely there have been 2 very important events for you. Thanks for sharing all the wonderful details and I see the food for your first party was absolutely excellent.
    Live further in peace in your wonderful home <3
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh so many beautiful details Mary ! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! If you read/saw the whole post and you would have something to say don't hesitate! Thank you very much for passing by, it means the world to me!

Have a nice day! ♥♥♥